Becoming a Sexual Assault Counselor (SAC)
All of our volunteer counselors complete a 65-hour California State Certified Sexual Assault Counselor Training. The training is designed to provide future volunteer counselors with knowledge, skills, and self-awareness necessary to respond to people affected by sexualized trauma. Specific topics covered in the training include the myths and realities of sexual abuse/assault, effects of trauma, medical issues, legal options, crisis intervention, and counseling skills. Throughout the training, we explore the connection between individual acts of sexual abuse/assault and institutional oppression such as sexism, racism, and homophobia.
Our next volunteer training is Summer 2018. Dates TBD
Tuesdays and Thursdays 6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturdays 9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Please send your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Provide support counseling on a 24-hour crisis line
- Provide support counseling at San Mateo Medical Center post-assault medical exams and forensic interviews
- Accompany survivors of abuse/assault to police interviews, court, etc.
- Play a key role in the healing process of survivors
- Gain meaningful experience in human relations and social change
- Learn essential skills and information in a comprehensive training (CA state certification as a Sexual Assault Counselor)
- Join a team of caring staff, interns, and volunteers dedicated to supporting survivors and ending cycles of violence
- Must be 18 years-old or older
- Have access to a private phone and transportation
- Submit fingerprints for sexual misconduct screening
- Be able to adhere to strict rules of confidentiality
- Be empathetic, respectful and non-judgmental
- Be able to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Be able to adhere to agency’s philosophy, protocols, procedures, and policies
- Particularly desired, but not required skills include fluency in languages other than English (i.e. Spanish, Tagalog, American Sign Language, etc.)
Working with survivors of trauma from sexual abuse/assault can be deeply fulfilling and meaningful!
Already accepted to a training?
You can easily pay your training fee online: